38. All business that is transacted at a special general meeting and all business that is transacted at the annual general meeting with the exception of that specially referred to in Rule 26 of these rules as being the ordinary business of the annual general meeting shall be deemed to be special business.
39. No item of business shall be transacted at a general meeting unless a quorum of members entitled under these rules to vote is present during the time when the meeting is considering that item.
40. The number of members personally present (being members entitled under these rules to vote at a general meeting) required to constitute a quorum for the transaction of the business of a general meeting shall be equal to one more than the number of members of the Board of Directors . For the purpose of this rule a delegate of a corporate entity admitted to membership shall be regarded in every respect as a member.
41. If within half an hour after the appointed time for the commencement of a general meeting, a quorum is not present, the meeting if convened upon the requisition of members shall be dissolved and in any other case shall stand adjourned to the same day in the next month at the same time and (unless another place is specified by the President or in his absence the Secretary at the time of the adjournment or by written notice to members given before the day to which the meeting is adjourned) at the same place and if at the adjourned meeting the quorum is not present within half an hour after the time appointed for the commencement of the meeting, the members present (being not less than seven) shall be a quorum.
42. The President, or if the President is absent, the Vice-President, or if the Vice-President is absent, the Immediate Past President or, if the Immediate Past President is absent, the Secretary shall preside as chairperson at each general meeting of the Association or if one of them is not present or is unwilling to act, the members present shall elect one of their number to preside as chairperson.
43. The chairperson of the meeting may vacate the chair and appoint a financial member to act as chairperson.
44. The chairperson of a general meeting at which a quorum is present may, with the consent of the meeting, adjourn the meeting from time to time and place to place, but no business shall be transacted at an adjourned meeting other than the business left unfinished at the meeting at which the adjournment took place.
45. Where a general meeting is adjourned for 14 days or more, a like notice of the adjourned meeting shall be given as in the case of the original general meeting.
46. Except as provided in Rule 45, it is not necessary to give notice of an adjournment or of the business to be transacted at an adjourned meeting.
47. A question arising at a general meeting of the Association shall be determined on a show of hands and unless before or on the declaration of the show of hands a poll is demanded, a declaration by the chairperson that a resolution has, on a show of hands, been carried or carried unanimously or carried by a particular majority or lost, and an entry to that effect in the minute book of the Association is evidence of the fact, without proof of the number or proportion of the votes recorded in favour of, or against, that resolution.
48. Upon any question arising at a general meeting of the Association, a member or the delegate of a corporate entity admitted to membership shall have only one vote.
49. All votes shall be given personally, or by proxy, or by normal post, or by facsimile, as the Board of Directors may from time to time direct, and advice as to the conditions applying to each general meeting shall be set out in the notice of the general meeting.
50. In the case of an equality of votes on a question, the chairperson of the meeting is entitled to exercise a second or casting vote.
51. The values in the postal or facsimile votes on any matter shall not be divulged to the members until the ballot of members at the general meeting shall have been counted.
52. If at a meeting a poll on any question is demanded by not less than three members, it shall be taken at that meeting in such manner as the chairperson may direct and the resolution of the poll shall be deemed to be a resolution of the meeting on that question.
53. A poll that is demanded on the election of a chairperson or on a question of an adjournment shall be taken forthwith and a poll that is demanded on any other question shall be taken at such time before the close of the meeting as the chairperson may direct.
54. A member is not entitled to vote at any general meeting unless all moneys due and payable to the Association have been paid, other than the amount of the annual subscription payable in respect of the current financial year.
55. Each member shall be entitled to appoint another member as a proxy by notice in the form provided in the by-laws given to the Secretary no later than 24 hours before the time of the meeting in respect of which the proxy is appointed.